First Presbyterian Church, located in the heart of Uptown Charlotte, is deemed to be one of the oldest structures in the city. Originally built in 1857, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The renovation improvements of the project center around a new chancel and choir loft that is highlighted by a new pipe organ. The scope includes aesthetic, acoustic and functional updates to the Sanctuary and Chancel, Sacristy, Apse, Transept, Welcome Center, and Historic Lobby. It also includes the addition of a new ADA lift to the top choir platform, new sanctuary lighting, and restoration of the heart pine wood floors. While focusing on the new chancel and choir configuration, the redesign includes an improved existing pulpit, marble floors, white oak millwork, bronze railings, and a piano lift that can be utilized for the relocation of the chancel furnishings to create a venue for recitals, performances, and other events.
Finally, the existing library will be transformed into a Welcome Center extension to the Historic Lobby, creating a larger space adjacent to the sanctuary for receiving and socializing before and after worship.